I am choosing action and positivity, despite the ugly, misogynistic, racist, ranting posts, emails, and behavior this election has spurred. I have un-friended, defended, commented, ignored, and now decided it is time to engage, influence the change in direction of the conversation.
On my last post, I wasn’t sure what to do with this blog. But, now I have a plan for 2017. Each week my posts will focus on something to get us through these turbulent times.
I asked my family and friends on Facebook for some ideas of what to write about. The initial suggestions I threw out were: family, inclusion, action, exercise, technology, activism.
Here were some wildly varied and unexpected ideas inspired by people who read that post, in no particular order:
- Nature and my photography
- Reasonably prices wines and champagnes (there were a couple suggestions for this topic. You know me well, my friends!)
- Exercise and healthy eating during the holiday season
- The art of a civil conversation when there is disagreement
- Favorite places to travel and why
- Choose a word (like ‘peace’, ‘inclusion’ ‘determination’) and tell a story around it
- Find an inspiring person and tell how they have moved me
- Research my past and find a lasting impact a relative has had
- Good books to read
- Gift ideas for 20-something aged children
- Favorite holiday traditions – how and when they came to be
- Acts of Kindness that I see in the world
- Charities and groups that need attention and help
What creative ideas, many that I would not have thought of! A couple people also volunteered to help guide some of the posts (ie. a friend who is a nutritionist/trainer).
Now I need to decide if I should use this blog as the forum for 2017, or if I should start a totally new one. Feel free to add other ideas below! I welcome other ideas, since I have 52 weeks to fill.
A new direction, a changed journey. How exciting.