Other than the weather, what’s not to love about Chicago? I’m sitting in a coffee shop, after walking across the city from the train station on a frigid below zero morning (with wind chill–like the “lack of humidity” in the Arizona heat that keeps it cool, the winter wind makes it colder than seems possible. Where are all the hot-aired politicians to warm it up? Oh yeah, one was arrested by the feds last week).
People are bundled up like toddlers, shuffling along the city streets, bike messengers delivering packages, eyes watering, ipods playing, furs on men and women–can’t an ash from your cigarette catch that fur on fire?, cars stream along the city streets, the highways are bumper to bumper, the train windows fog as passengers fill the aisles.
So many reasons to love Chicago in all seasons. Here are just a few of mine:
1. The Bears
2. Hour train rides to enjoy all the city has to explore–only $5 on the weekends!
3. FREE Lincoln Park Zoo
4. The Bean, Milennium Park, and Buckingham fountain
5. Theatre–so many great shows, too little time and cash. And the inside of the glorious Chicago Theatre
6. Large venues and corner bars to watch up-and-coming or fading away bands
7. Cool graffiti
8. A myriad of ethnic neighborhoods to embrace whatever culture you wish
9. Lake Michigan on a sunny day–floating diamonds!
10. Bike trails along the lake
11. Hidden parks for kids to play
12. Free ice skating in winter
13. That we allow Disney to “sponsor” the lighting of Michigan Ave. for Christmas. Talk about selling out!
14. The White Sox–and northside/southside rivalries. Sorry, all my Cub friends
15. In the Loop, gridlike steets that are numbered numerically, so it’s easy to find places.
16. FREE summer festivals, farmers markets and art shows
17. Great shopping, if you like that type of thing
18. Underground bars, and ones high above the city
19. The Chicago skyline. Best in the world, look north from by the Planetarium for a great photo op
20. Fab friends who share a city condo with their friends.
21. Natives who think this city rules over NYC.
This list could be endless. Add what you like about Chicago in the comment section, if you wish. May the clear blue skies and beaming sun warm your hearts, if not your cheeks. C